Tuesday, September 14, 2010

TIFF: Black Swan Review

Because of the new arrival of our kittens and the overlapping of the high holidays, I haven't been into TIFF too much this year. I did see one movie last night though- the highly anticipated Darren Aronofsky film: Black Swan which has serious oscar buzz.

Starring Natalie Portman as a principal ballerina struggling to embody the duality of the lead role in Swan Lake, the film had the theatre on the edge of its seats with its twisted psychological drama. Some parts were a little too trippy and graphic for me due to my queasiness, but the dance sequences and beautiful score helped soften those edges. Natalie was so thrilling to watch especially, and its clear how far she pushed herself physically to play this role.  The final dance sequence was so visually stunning that it makes me want to don a tutu and put on some serious black make-up for Halloween this year!

image

I was so excited that Natalie was on hand with the rest of the cast to introduce the film. She looked so pretty with her soft waves, smokey eyes and frilly Jason Wu frock. I am dying for the black bow bracelet she had on!

image Also at the premiere was Winona Ryder, who plays a washed-up former prima ballerina in the film. She looked very sweet with her vintage-looking black dress, pale skin and red lips. I grew up with so many of her movies, such as Beetlejuice and Edward Scissorhands so it was cool to see her in the flesh!

Make sure to check out the trailer here.

No comments: