Monday, June 29, 2009

At Last! My Maiden Voyage to John Derian in NYC

image

My adoration for John Derian is well documented on this blog. It will not be a big shocker then that one of my top priorities while in NYC was to get to his eponymous shops in the lower east side.

P1080134

Upon walking into the charming John Derian Company Store, I was immediately struck by the shiny glint of his signature decoupage pieces (and I was pleased to see that John himself was actually in the store too!)

P1080126P1080130

Cake stands, trays, vases, paperweights, plates, table lamps -all of the amazing decoupage pieces I could look at for hours on end were there for me to faun over!

P1080129

Along with the signature decoupage, there were stunning displays of the Astier de Villate glazed terra cotta pottery from France, graphic Hugo Guiness prints framed gallery style, candy coloured leather Moroccan poufs, canvas tote bags, quirky cutlery, buttery-soft cotton rogues gallery t-shirts and more!

P1080127P1080136 P1080137

It was very tempting to snap up the divinely scented Beekman 1802 goats milk soaps that are packaged by the month and the patterned Astier de Villatte Notebooks were calling my name as well. The painted wooden blocks meant to resemble book covers were so creative and the postcards, greeting cards and other paper goods were amazing too!

P1080139P1080138P1080141

Once I was done in the first store, I proceeded to walk a couple of doors down to John Derian Dry Goods, another retail location which is jam packed with John's furniture line, Moroccan rugs, sumptuous textiles, interesting lighting, garden furniture and more.

P1080147P1080145P1080142P1080143P1080144P1080146

image

It took every ounce of strength not to send home a duffel bag filled with the shams, toss cushions, duvets and table linens with their fetching ethnic prints and vibrant bursts of colour.

In the end I left with three of the circular fashion plates I have been lusting over for months that I originally spotted at Constantine.

The fact that they ended up being half the price of what they would have cost at home helped soften the blow to my wallet and every time I look at them I just feel so happy!

4 comments:

Pigtown*Design said...

I just adore this shop (and the one two doors down). It was one of the first things I blogged about 2.5 years ago.

annechovie said...

wow, you have some great photos here I have never seen anyone else take before. I am jealous! How fun to visit in person. Happy Canada Day!

Brent said...

Wow! We were thrilled when John Derian decided to carry our Beekman 1802 soaps, but how perfectly lovely for you to pick up on them among all of the other truly wonderful things he has in those two shops. I really think I could just move in and be perfectly content

Anonymous said...

Hi! I have a SUPER urgent press request from Refinery29 (refinery29.com). Can you contact me ASAP!!

Thanks!
Leila Brillson