Thursday, April 3, 2008

Culinary Adventures: Ruby Chinese

From a young age, my mom encouraged me to learn my way around the kitchen and explore new foods. I can thank her for my cooking skills and for imbuing me with a sense of adventure when it comes to trying new tastes and flavours.

DSC01422One of our favourite things to do together is try new restaurants off the beaten path (the rest of the fam are not as game as we are for trying new things )

We've been craving dim sum, so we decided to try out a place near my office in Scarborough, a suburb of Toronto with a large Asian population. I'm a dumpling monster so I was super pumped!

image

imageWe settled on Ruby's after doing some quick research. It was definitely an adventure as I had never been to a huge authentic Chinese banquet hall. Servers walked up and down the long aisles shouting what they had to offer- it was nothing like I had ever seen!

 

image

We were hoping for a wide selection of steamed and pan fried dumplings, but instead most of the servers couldn't explain what they were offering.

As a result we didn't take too many chances and kept to the basics.

DSC01424The sticky rice, spring rolls and steamed shrimp dumplings were good, but I didn't get the range of dumplings I was looking for so I wouldn't go back too fast. It wasn't bad but it wasn't amazing either.

Until the next culinary adventure...

1 comment:

Yoli said...

Makes me want to go back to China.